Monday, December 3, 2007

relational ministy?

If you are in ministry you hear this term use a ton. I guess my question
is what is relational ministry? Is it a bunch of programs that bring lost
kids in and share the word of God?
I think that relational ministry goes a lot father then that. I think that
it is getting into their life and investing in them. It means meeting them
where they are currently in their lives. In the last few weeks I have had the opportunity of taking a few kids out to eat and I found more joy in that then I have ever in a Sunday
night program. Sitting across the table and sharing a meal goes farther than
anything I can ever do on Sunday morning. Going to there sporting event, school lunches and
meeting with them in a small group setting... that is relational ministry. What
are you doing to get inside their world and on their turf? I remember growing up and
I can't remember one message that my youth pastor said but I can tell you the times we hung out. I think that we have to figure out how to do relational ministry since Sunday morning programming is only going to go so far in the lives and memories of the students we teach.
Something to think about?

No comments: